…possibly the greatest period for horror movies so far, The Deadly Spawn
is another film that proves this notion. A horror sci-fi with stellar
practical creature effects, the perfect amount of cheese and a synth heavy
The Deadly Spawn tells the story of a meteorite that crashes to earth and
introduces a leech like alien organism to the backwoods and suburbia of
America. As with all horror movies, we as humans, must do the stupid thing and
investigate. Cue a few stupid dead people and some clever shadow kills.
Being from another planet obviously means the spawn is smarter than us and it takes
refuge in a damp basement of a big house. We are then introduced to the family
which includes a very cool young boy who LOVES horror movies and creature features,
he has posters all over his walls, masks and costumes, books and magazines and even bringing a very famous horror mag down to the breakfast table.
The movie stays with this family as one by one they discover and succumb to the
beast in the basement.
The creature effects in this are awesome and truly original for its time. A
schlocky fun horror movie perfect for October. I watched the Arrow Video release
which of course comes with a massive slab of awesome features and extras:
- Digitally remastered transfer in the original full frame aspect ratio
- Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork by Rick Melton
- Collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by Calum Waddell and Tim Sullivan (2001 Maniacs)
- Two Audio commentaries with writer and producer Ted A. Bohus and editor Marc Harwood
- A Comic-style prequel with its own musical score
- Alternate opening sequence
- In the Workshop of S/FX Director John Dods
- A selection of archive TV interviews featuring the filmmakers
- Stills gallery featuring behind-the-scenes images, pages from the script, artwork and more!
- Outtake Reel
- Audition Tapes
- Original artwork by Craig Kraaken
The Deadly Spawn is out now, on DVD, from Arrow Video.